Good Plan Gone Awry Part 3

Where to? Good question. We finally decide that we will go to Cottonwood where we had been late last year. Not my absolute favorite place but good enough for a week or so. So we get there and it is ten times more crowded than last Fall. We managed to find a spot to camp though so we were content enough.
So we are having dinner one evening and at the end I had a cookie. I don’t even remember what we had for dinner that night but I started to get a strange feeling in my gut. It kind of felt like there was somebody in there – probably a gremlin – who had a vice and kept making it tighter and squeezing my insides. So I tried taking some TUMS but the gremlins just laughed at that. I did my best to live with it that night but it gradually got worse and it kept me from sleeping. Finally at about 7 the next morning I woke up Olga and said I think I need to go to the ER. So off we go to the hospital.
I have to say that this was the most efficient trip to the ER I’ve ever had. As an active young kid I spend many days in the ER. Two knee dislocations, two broken collar bones, and enough blood and stitches to last a lifetime. I was taken in very quickly by the staff at the hospital and was in a bed within minutes of my arrival. I was asked for my pain level which felt to me like around an 8. They offered me morphine which I had never had before. I decided to go for a “cocktail” of stomach stuff like Maalox and some other stuff first. Unfortunately that did no good at all so I finally decided to go for the morphine. If there is one thing I know from all my ER time it’s that I am very resistant to pain meds. With both of my knee dislocations they had to give me twice as much Demerol as they originally gave me before it had any affect. So in goes the first shot of morphine. Nada, zip, zilch, nothing. So they give me another shot of the same amount. Still nothing. In the mean time they are zipping me around for different tests. I got a CAT SCAN, abdominal ultra-sound, blood tests and urine tests. Then more morphine, about half the original amounts this time. Finally I start to feel a little bit of relief. So after about six hours the only thing they can really tell me is that my heart is fine but I have gallstones. They give me some kind of meds to take before meals to settle my stomach and a pain killer.
We run to the pharmacy and get the scripts filled. I take the pain meds immediately as prescribed. I don’t know if it was the morphine or the combination of that and the other pain killers but the cure rapidly became almost as bad as the original problem. I was scared to eat anything at all so for the next couple of days I starved myself. My stomach was not giving me much of a problem but the meds made me feel like absolute crap. For the next 48 hours my brain was in full scale revolt. At one point I swear I actually hallucinated. I was just seeing an all white background with random letters, numbers and complex mathematical formulas just bouncing around the space in all directions and speeds. That really freaked me out. I spend one whole night lying there with my brain continually playing a game of solitaire with a deck that for some reason had 12 black 9s and 12 red 7s. I could NOT make it stop!
After that first night I didn’t take any more pain meds. It still took almost a week to get my head screwed back on straight. I did a ton of sleeping. While I’m doing this the worst thing that can happen while camping in Cottonwood happened. It rained. The place is OK when it’s dry, but when it rains there it creates the world’s worst mud. This stuff is like no mud you have ever seen. If you take one step outdoors your shoe is suddenly covered with mud making it about as big as a small snow shoe, and it’s damn near impossible to get off your shoes. Then some cattle came through as often happens there and they decided to do a Mexican hat dance right by our solar panels which became covered in mud. Feeling the way I did I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
That brings us nearly current of that saga. I’m still very shaky about eating and have lost a lot of weight as a result. My energy is still pretty low but I’m trying to take in some protein as I know that will help. So it’s back to our adventures. We are in Prescott to get a problem with one of our slide outs fixed and then we’ll figure out where to head next.

One thought on “Good Plan Gone Awry Part 3”

  1. Terry and I hope you are doing much better, and that Olga is doing well. Unfortunately,
    pain meds can do all sorts of nasty things; they are doing research on non-opiode pain relievers. Hopefully, in a few years there will be better choices. ☺

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *